Lenovo Smart Designs for
Microsoft SQL Server DatabaseSolution Brief
Reduce time to value with pretested hardware configurations
Support for Transactional and Data Warehouse Applications
The volume and complexity of data is increasing everywhere, and the ability to capture and use it is becoming more important for organizations across almost every industry. Digital transactions and experiences are expected to be available across geographies and time zones. With this data volume increase and its geographic proliferation, the ability to analyze data for operational results and market trends is of paramount importance to businesses large and small.
To address both of these needs, Lenovo has developed validated design based solutions with the breadth of scope that allows them to easily accommodate both transactional database and data warehouse database workloads. With their unified architecture approach, these cost-effective solutions include all the infrastructure components and hardware resources optimized to address both types of :)workloads in order to address the needs of enterprises and smaller businesses.
The principle components of these validated designs include Lenovo ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers, ThinkSystem all flash storage arrays as well as Microsoft SQL Server software.
Faster Time to Deploy
These Microsoft SQL Server designs are faster and easier to deploy using pre-tested/certified hardware configurations. The resulting pre-tested solutions employ the infrastructure configuration details required for Microsoft SQL Server. These solutions enable businesses to accelerate their Microsoft SQL Server deployment and quickly provision infrastructure resources in a repeatable and consistent manner.
Reduce Equipment and Operating Costs
Designing and sizing a Microsoft SQL Server solution is not a trivial task. It is common for data warehouse architects to over provision hardware and software systems anticipating future growth and peak demands not accounting for the latest features, performance and capabilities. This typically results in higher hardware costs, software costs and maintenance costs. These Lenovo solutions solve this business problem. They are validated configurations that include compute, storage and networking elements that can be easily deployed, managed, configured and reconfigured as business and application needs change.
- Deploy an on-line analytical processing (OLAP) database (supporting data warehouse workloads) or an on-line transaction processing (OLTP) database architecture for Microsoft SQL Server
- Minimize deployment time and cost with pre-tested and optimized infrastructure configurations
- Scale the design easily based on workload requirements.
As the IT industry looks to the future for new technologies to drive business, starting with SQL Server 2019, SQL Server Big Data Clusters allows businesses to deploy scalable clusters of SQL Server, Spark, and HDFS containers running on Kubernetes. These components are running side by side to enable IT managers to read, write, and process big data from Transact-SQL or Spark, allowing them to easily combine and analyze their high-value relational data with high-volume big data.
Powered by Lenovo
The Lenovo Database Validated Configurations enable businesses to deploy Microsoft SQL Server solutions for edge, high performance and hybrid cloud applications with Lenovo ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile platforms, including the following:
- ThinkSystem SE350 - A 1U, 1-socket server is a rugged compact-sized Edge solution with a focus on smart connectivity, security, and manageability for harsh environments.
- ThinkSystem SR650 - A 2U, 2-socket server that delivers the performance and reliability you require today, with the scalability and versatility you'll need in the future.
- ThinkSystem SR950 - A 4U, up to 8-socket server that is resilient and scalable with large memory and storage capacity for the most crucial workloads and demanding applications.
- ThinkAgile Platforms - Designed for easy deployment and manageability in scale-out clusters, the Lenovo ThinkAgile portfolio combines software from industry leading hyperconverged ISVs with Lenovo’s highly reliable and scalable servers. These appliances ship fully integrated, tested, and configured so that you can dramatically accelerate your time to value and reduce your infrastructure maintenance.
All Lenovo ThinkSystem servers are high performance systems, consistently holding numerous world performance benchmarks. Engineered for always-on productivity, ThinkSystem servers are consistently ranked #1 in x86 server reliability.
A sample of the Lenovo Smart Designs for Microsoft SQL Server are listed in the following table
ThinkSystem SE350 Server
ThinkSystem SR650 Server
ThinkSystem SR950 Server
ThinkAgile Hyperconverged Appliance
|Platform||SQL Server Version||Workloads (OLAP, OLTP)||Size or Scalability||Availability|
|ThinkSystem SR630||SQL Server 2019||OLAP||10TB||Simplex|
|ThinkSystem SR650||SQL Server 2019||OLAP||50TB||Simplex|
|ThinkSystem SR650 & DM7000F||SQL Server 2017||OLAP||65TB||HA|
|ThinkSystem SR950||SQL Server 2019||OLAP||200TB||Simplex|
|ThinkSystem SE350||SQL Server 2019||OLTP||Up to 2 nodes||Simplex or HA|
|ThinkSystem SR650||SQL Server 2017||OLTP||Up to 2 nodes||Simplex or HA|
|ThinkAgile HX||SQL Server 2017||OLTP||3 to 64 nodes||HA|
|ThinkAgile MX||SQL Server 2017||OLTP||2 to 16 nodes||HA|
|ThinkAgile SXM||SQL Server 2017||OLTP||4 to 16 nodes||HA|
|ThinkSystem SR650||SQL Server 2019 Big Data Clusters||OLAP/OLTP/Spark||Up to 16 nodes||HA|
Attached Storage Arrays
All configurations support either on-board storage or attached storage with the Lenovo ThinkSystem DM7000F or DE6000F Storage Arrays. These all-flash arrays offer a range of connectivity options, minimizing latency and maximizing performance. The DM Series provides strong data management with block and file support. The DE Series provides maximum performance for block storage at an affordable price.
Connecting the servers to the data and storage networks can be easily accomplished with network switches from the Lenovo RackSwitch portfolio. Options include 10, 25 and 100 GbE switches as well 16 and 32 Gb Fibre Channel switches.
Lenovo offers a wide range of complementary software offerings for your Microsoft SQL Server environments.
Whether you desire to run Microsoft SQL Server on Linux, Windows or containers, Lenovo can provide you with the OS software. Lenovo offers Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) Linux distributions, and the current and previous versions of Windows Server.
System management is achieved through Lenovo XClarity Administrator, a centralized resource management solution that is aimed at reducing complexity, speeding response, and enhancing the availability of Lenovo server systems and solutions. Lenovo XClarity Administrator provides agent-free hardware management for Lenovo servers, storage, and network switches.
The Veeam Availability Suite provides SQL Server database deployments with the protection and recovery performance necessary to meet recovery point objective and recovery time objective goals. Veeam provides reliable, agentless, image-level backup for Microsoft SQL Server databases that run any supported operating system and hypervisor, with transaction log backup and replay capability so that you can restore your Microsoft SQL Server database to a precise point in time — even to a specific transaction.
Tying It All Together with Services
The solutions can be installed and configured with the help of Lenovo Services. Lenovo Services can help you:
- Drive Digital Transformation. Select the best architectures suited to your unique needs.
- Foster Innovation. Free up your internal resources to focus on initiatives that grow your business.
- Simplify Your Support Experience. Gain a trusted partner who understands your systems and solutions to fully support and optimize your data center.
ThinkAgile Advantage Services
Included with your ThinkAgile HX Series appliance are ThinkAgile Advantage Services, which deliver proactive, solution-oriented support for your Lenovo ThinkAgile HX Series appliances.. This includes end-to-end case management and problem resolution, with a dedicated Lenovo phone number for expedited response. Lenovo ThinkAgile Advantage services extend these benefits with 24x7 support, allowing your IT team to focus on developing proficiencies that give your business a competitive edge. It’s an efficient way to keep your investment working for you, with minimal disruption to your staff resources.
Lenovo is a leading provider of x86 servers for the data center. Featuring rack, tower, blade, dense and converged systems, the Lenovo server portfolio provides excellent performance, reliability and security. Lenovo also offers a full range of networking, storage, software, solutions, and comprehensive services supporting business needs throughout the IT lifecycle.
For More Information
To learn more about Lenovo Database Validated Designs for Microsoft SQL Server Database, contact your Lenovo Business Partner or visit: lenovo.com/systems/solutions
Lenovo ThinkSystem servers with Microsoft SQL Server software provide high performance, cost effective transactional or data warehouse solutions. Additionally SQL Server 2019 Big Data Clusters allows you to deploy scalable clusters of SQL Server, Spark, and HDFS containers all running side-by side.
- Solution Guides:
- Lenovo Database Solution for Microsoft SQL Server
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLAP on SR630
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLAP on SR650
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLAP HA on SR650 with DM7000F
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLAP on SR950
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLTP on SE350
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLTP on SR650
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLTP on ThinkAgile HX
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLTP on ThinkAgile MX
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server OLTP on ThinkAgile SXM
- Lenovo Database Configuration for Microsoft SQL Server Big Data Clusters on SR650
- Reference Architectures:
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Trademarks: Lenovo, the Lenovo logo, Lenovo Services, RackSwitch, ThinkAgile, ThinkSystem, and XClarity® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo. Linux® is the trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries. Microsoft®, SQL Server®, Windows Server®, and Windows® are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both. Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.