ThinkSystem SR860 V2 Sets 2 World Records with New TPC-E Benchmark ResultPerformance Benchmark Result
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 has set two new TPC-E performance world records. The server has achieved the world’s best TPC-E performance and price/performance results.
This document summarizes the TPC-E benchmark result for the ThinkSystem SR860 V2 that was published on November 19, 2020. The document lists the result, summarizes the major components of the configuration under test, and provides the link to the relevant benchmark organization’s web site for details about the result.
Lenovo has published a new TPC-E benchmark result that has set two world records. The result has been achieved on the powerful Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server. The benchmark results are:
- The world’s #1 best overall TPC-E result for performance
- The world’s #1 best overall TPC-E result for price/performance.
The ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server achieved the following score (1):
- 12,162.59 tpsE (transactions per second E) @ $84.96 USD/tpsE
This result sets two new records:
- The best performance in the industry: 7% faster than the previous overall best score. (2)
- The lowest ever price/performance.
With this new result, Lenovo servers now have the #1 1P (3), 4P (1), and overall (1) TPC-E performance and price/performance results as well as the #1 2P (4) TPC-E performance result.
The SR860 V2 achieved this record level of OLTP performance using the following configuration:
- Four Intel Xeon Platinum 8380H Scalable processors at 2.90 GHz (4 processors each 28 cores, 112 total cores, 224 total threads)
- 3072 GB of Lenovo TruDDR4 memory
- Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition
This result also relied on the Lenovo Storage D1224 DAS enclosures. Six D1224 storage enclosures and 126 SAS SSDs were used in the benchmark configuration, attached directly to the server using ThinkSystem RAID 930-8e controllers configured with RAID-5.
Results referenced are current as of November 19, 2020. To view all TPC results, visit http://www.tpc.org.
(1) The total solution availability for this TPC-E benchmark result is November 19, 2020. See the details for this result at http://www.tpc.org/4087
(2) The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 previously held the #1 overall TPC-E performance result and #1 4P TPC-E price/performance result. Result details are from http://www.tpc.org/4081. This result is in the TPC’s Historical Result list.
(3) The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR655 holds the #1 1P TPC-E performance result and the #1 1P TPC-E price/performance result. Result details are from http://www.tpc.org/4085
(4) The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR650 holds the #1 2P TPC-E performance result. Result details are from http://www.tpc.org/4084
About the ThinkSystem SR860 V2
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server provides the speed and reliability you require today, with the scalability and workload versatility to you’ll need to manage the explosive growth of data; its design offers considerable adaptability in order to match system configurations to projected workloads.
The ThinkSystem SR860 V2 is purpose-built to deliver affordable scalability in an industry-standard x86 platform, ideal for mission critical workloads such as SAP HANA in-memory computing, transactional databases, analytics, big data, and enterprise resource planning tasks.
Up to four 250W third-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable CPUs configured with a mesh topology pair with up to four enterprise-class GPUs position the SR860 V2 to tackle compute-intensive applications, leveraging thousands of GPU processor cores and parallel architecture in combination with additional storage and networking that’s both high-performing and flexible.
- Up to four 250W 3rd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs configured with a mesh topology combines with up to 48 2.5” HDD or SSDs, of which 24 can be direct-connect NVMe SSDs to speed database response times, reducing latency and eliminating storage as the throughput bottleneck in I/O-intensive applications such as transactional processing, HPC, and Big data applications.
- Capability to handle four double-width GPUs or eight single-width GPUs to accelerate AI inference and deep learning proficiencies.
- Support for 12TB of 3200 MHz DDR4 memory and Intel Optane™ Persistent Memory 200 Series accelerates performance for in-memory databases and applications, reducing downtime and increasing application availability.
- High I/O bandwidth coupled with a generous number of PCIe expansion slots provides the additional connectivity scalability as your business and workload demands increase.
- Full Lenovo XClarity and ThinkShield system support for seamless infrastructure management and improved data security.
About the Lenovo Storage D1212 and D1224 Enclosures
The Lenovo Storage D1212 and D1224 Disk Expansion Enclosures offer 12 Gbps SAS direct-attached storage expansion capabilities that are designed to provide simplicity, speed, scalability, security, and high availability for small to large businesses.
The D1212 (with 3.5-inch drives) and D1224 (with 2.5-inch drives), deliver enterprise-class storage technology in a cost-effective solution with flexible drive configurations and RAID or JBOD (non-RAID) host connectivity.
TPC Benchmark E (TPC-E) is an Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) workload designed to enable customers to objectively measure and compare the performance and price of various OLTP and database systems. TPC-E is a mixture of read-only and update intensive transactions that simulate the activities found in complex OLTP application environments.
To learn more about solutions for database and OLTP applications, please contact your Lenovo Sales Representative.
To find out more about TPC, visit http://www.tpc.org.
To learn more about the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 V2 server, visit the SR860 V2 product web page:
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
The following terms are trademarks of other companies:
Intel®, Intel Optane™, and Xeon® are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries.
Microsoft®, SQL Server®, Windows Server®, and Windows® are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
TPC, TPC Benchmark, TPC-E, and tpsE are trademarks of Transaction Processing Performance Council.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.