Lenovo ThinkSystem 440-16i Internal SAS HBAProduct Guide
The ThinkSystem 440-16i SAS/SATA PCIe Gen4 12Gb Internal HBA is a high performance PCIe 4.0 host bus adapters for internal storage connectivity in ThinkSystem servers. It integrates the latest enhancements SAS technology and offer 16 lanes of 12 Gbps SAS.
This product guide provides essential presales information to understand the ThinkSystem internal HBA and its key features, specifications, and compatibility. This guide is intended for technical specialists, sales specialists, sales engineers, IT architects, and other IT professionals who want to learn more about the HBA and consider its use in IT solutions.
Changes in the May 20 update:
- Corrected the Port connectors row of the Specifications table - Features and specifications section
The ThinkSystem 440-16i SAS/SATA PCIe Gen4 12Gb Internal HBA is a high performance PCIe 4.0 host bus adapters for internal storage connectivity in ThinkSystem servers. It integrates the latest enhancements SAS technology and offer 16 lanes of 12 Gbps SAS. With a custom compact form-factor design, this adapters is designed to be cabled to an onboard PCIe 4.0 x8 port on the server and not occupy a standard PCIe slot.
The following figure shows the ThinkSystem 440-16i SAS/SATA PCIe Gen4 12Gb Internal HBA.
Did you know?
The 440 HBAs have a PCIe 4.0 host interface which doubles the bandwidth between the server and the adapter, compared to the previous generation 430 HBAs. This improves overall performance of the storage subsystem by supporting up to 3 million IOPS.
Rigorous testing of the ThinkSystem HBAs by Lenovo through the ServerProven program ensures a high degree of confidence in storage subsystem compatibility and reliability. Providing an additional peace of mind, the controller is covered under Lenovo warranty.
Part number information
The following table lists the ordering information.
|Part number||Feature code||Description|
|4Y37A09725||B8P1||ThinkSystem 440-16i SAS/SATA PCIe Gen4 12Gb Internal HBA|
The option part number includes the following items:
- Documentation flyer
Features and specifications
The 440 internal HBAs have the following features and specifications:
- PCIe 4.0 x8 host interface
- 12 Gbps SAS/SATA host bus adapter, based on the Broadcom SAS3816 IOC design
- Custom form-factor, designed to not consume a standard PCIe slot
- 16x 12 Gbps SAS/SATA ports for connectivity to 16 internal drives
- Up to 12 Gbps throughput per port
- Supports 12, 6, or 3 Gbps SAS speeds
- Supports 6 or 3 Gbps SATA speeds
- One x8 HD Mini-SAS connector to the host (SFF-8654 x8)
- Four x4 HD Mini-SAS connectors to backplanes (SFF-8654 x4)
- Non-RAID (JBOD mode) support for SAS and SATA HDDs and SSDs (RAID not supported)
- Support internal SAS tape drives
- Optimized for SSD performance
- High performance architecture with very deep queue depth
- Advanced power management support
- Support for SSP, SMP, STP, and SATA protocols
- End-to-End CRC with Advanced Error Reporting
- Spread Spectrum Clocking for EMI reductions
- Supports 512e, 512n and 4K (when available) formatted drives
- Compliant with Disk Data Format (DDF) configuration on disk (CoD).
- S.M.A.R.T. support.
- Configuration through
- XClarity Provisioning Manager UEFI interface
- XClarity Controller web interface
- XClarity Administrator Configuration Patterns
- StorCLI command-line interface
- LSI Storage Authority (LSA) GUI interface
- UEFI Human Interface Infrastructure (HII)
The specifications of the adapters are listed in the following table.
|Controller chip||Broadcom SAS3816|
|Broadcom equivalent||HBA 9500-16i|
|Host interface||PCIe 4.0 x8|
|Port interface||12 Gb SAS|
|Number of ports||16|
|Port connectors||One x8 SFF-8654 input
Four x4 SFF-8654 outputs
|Drive interface||SAS, SATA|
|Drive type||HDD, SSD, SED**|
|RAID levels||No RAID|
|CacheVault cache protection with Flash||No|
|Performance Accelerator (FastPath)||No|
|SSD Caching (CacheCade Pro 2.0)||No|
** SED support is by using software on the server (SED commands are passed through the HBA to the drives).
To compare the 440 HBA to other internal adapters, see the Lenovo ThinkSystem RAID Adapter and HBA Reference
The following tables list the ThinkSystem servers that are compatible.
|Part number||Description||Intel 2S||AMD|
|4Y37A09725||ThinkSystem 440-16i SAS/SATA PCIe Gen4 12Gb Internal HBA||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||Y||Y|
|Part number||Description||E||1S Intel||4S Intel||Dense/ Blade|
|4Y37A09725||ThinkSystem 440-16i SAS/SATA PCIe Gen4 12Gb Internal HBA||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N||N|
Operating system support
The following operating systems are supported:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP5
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 Xen SP5
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 Xen SP1
- VMware ESXi 6.7 U3
- VMware ESXi 7.0
The adapters carry a 1-year limited warranty. When installed in a supported ThinkSystem server, the adapters assume the server’s base warranty and any warranty service upgrade.
The adapters are supported in the following environment:
- Temperature: 10°C to 55°C (50°F to 131°F)
- Relative humidity: 20% to 80% (non-condensing)
- Temperature with package: -40°C to 105°C (-40°F to 221°F)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
The adapters have the following agency approvals:
- USA (FCC 47 CFR part 15 Subpart B, class B)
- Canada (ICES -003, Class B)
- Taiwan (CNS 13438)
- Japan (VCCI V-3)
- Australia/New Zealand (AS/NZS CISPR 22)
- Korea (RRA no 2013-24 & 25)
- Europe (EN55022/EN55024)
- Safety: EN/ IEC/ UL 60950
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
The following terms are trademarks of other companies:
Intel® is a trademark or registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Linux® is the trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
Microsoft®, Windows Server®, and Windows® are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.