World Record Result for SAP BW Edition for SAP HANA Benchmark (2.6B Records) for Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950Performance Benchmark Result
Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 4-socket server using Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processors delivers world record performance for the SAP BW Edition for SAP HANA Benchmark Version 1, with 2.6 billion initial records in a single-node setup.
This document summarizes the SAP BW benchmark result for the ThinkSystem SR950 that was published on 8 November, 2017. The document lists the result, summarizes the major components of the configuration under test, and provides the link to the relevant benchmark organization’s web site for details about the result.
November 8, 2017 ... Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 4-socket server using Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processors delivers world record performance (1) for the SAP BW Edition for SAP HANA Benchmark Version 1 with 2.6 billion (2.6B) initial records in a single-node setup.
The benchmark refers to the SAP Business Warehouse (SAP BW) application running on the SAP HANA platform.
The SR950 configuration was as follows:
- Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950
- Four Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 Processors, 2.50 GHz
- 64 KB L1 cache, 1024 KB L2 cache and 38.5 MB L3 cache per processor
- 4 processor, 112 total cores, 224 total threads
- 3072 GB main memory
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12
- SAP HANA 1.0
- SAP NetWeaver 7.50
The benchmark consists of three phases and the ThinkSystem SR950 server achieved the following performance results:
- Phase 1: Data load phase = 26,297 (Total Runtime of Data Load/Transformation in seconds)
- Phase 2: Query throughput phase = 4584 (Query Executions per Hour / Records selected)
- Phase 3: Query runtime phase = 143 (Total Runtime of complex query phase in seconds)
The result shows that the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 offers a performance advantage over the HPE system (2) for the key performance indicators (KPIs) in each of the phases of the benchmark as shown in table below.
|KPI||Lenovo result||HPE result (2)||% improvement compared to HPE|
|Phase 1: Data load (lower is better)||26297||27478||4.0%|
|Phase 2: Query Throughput (higher is better)||4584||4432||3.0%|
|Phase 3: Complex Query Runtime (lower is better)||143||145||1.5%|
Results referenced are current as of November 8, 2017. For the latest SAP BW benchmark results, visit: https://www.sap.com/about/benchmark/appbm/netweaver.html#sap-bw-edition-for-sap-hana-benchmark.
(1) This benchmark fully complies with the SAP Benchmark Council regulations and has been audited and certified by SAP SE (certification 2017046). Details can be obtained from Lenovo and SAP. The benchmark was performed at the Lenovo Data Center Performance Lab in Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, by Lenovo engineers. Configuration: ThinkSystem SR950, 4 processor / 112 cores / 224 threads, Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processors, 2.50 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache, 1024 KB L2 cache and 38.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 3072 GB main memory.
(2) The performance claim is based on SAP BW edition for SAP HANA benchmark for 2.6B data volume in single-node setup results on HPE DL560 GEN10, 4 processor / 112 cores / 224 threads, Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processor, 2.50 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 1024 KB L2 cache per core, 38.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 3072 GB main memory (certification 2017033).
About the ThinkSystem SR950
Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 is designed for your most demanding, mission-critical workloads, such as in-memory databases, large transactional databases, batch and real-time analytics, ERP, CRM, and virtualized server workloads.
The powerful 4U ThinkSystem SR950 can grow from two to eight Intel Xeon Scalable Family processors, and with 96 DIMM sockets, supports up to 12 TB of high-speed memory without having to replace the server enclosure or upgrade to a physically larger design. The modular design of SR950 speeds upgrades and servicing with easy front or rear access to all major subsystems to maximize server availability.
The SR950 packs numerous fault-tolerant and high-availability features into a high-density design. The SR950 offers enterprise scalability and advanced RAS features to support the most demanding mission-critical applications that require 24x7 operations. The new 4U rack optimized design reduces the space needed to support massive network computing operations and simplifies servicing.
Lenovo XClarity Controller is an all-new hardware embedded management engine common in every ThinkSystem server. XClarity Controller features an uncluttered graphical user interface, industry standard Redfish-compliant REST APIs, and enables booting in half the time of prior generation servers, with up to 6x faster firmware updates.
Lenovo XClarity Administrator is a virtualized application that centrally manages ThinkSystem servers, storage, and networking. Via reusable patterns and policies, it ramps up and scales infrastructure provisioning and maintenance. It serves as a central integration point to extend your data center management processes to physical IT. Running XClarity Integrators in external IT applications, or integrating through REST APIs, helps you further speed services provisioning, streamline IT management, and contain costs.
About the SAP BW edition for SAP HANA Benchmark
The SAP BW Edition for SAP HANA Standard Application Benchmark, Version 1, is the latest addition to the list of benchmarks for SAP Business Warehouse (SAP BW). It fully utilizes the capabilities of SAP HANA to process the benchmark workload. Allowed data volumes are a multiple of 1.3 billion initial records and can be run in single-node and multi-node setups. This benchmark was released in July 2016.
The benchmark scenario represents typical mid-size customer scenario and volumes for SAP BW running on SAP HANA. The benchmark simulates a variety of users with different analytical requirements and measures the key performance indicator (KPI) relevant to each of the three benchmark phases.
The three benchmark phases are as follows:
- Data load phase, testing data latency and load performance
- Query throughput phase, testing query throughput with moderate complex queries
- Query runtime phase, testing the performance of running very complex queries
For more information about the benchmark, go to https://www.sap.com/about/benchmark.html.
To learn more about business warehouse and data analytics solutions for SAP applications running on Lenovo Servers visit, http://www.lenovo.com/sap/hana or contact your Lenovo Customer Representative.
For more information about SAP BW/4HANA, go to https://www.sap.com/products/bw4hana-data-warehousing.html.
To learn more about the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 server, visit the SR950 product web page.
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
The following terms are trademarks of other companies:
Intel® and Xeon® are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries.
Linux® is the trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.