World Record SAP SD Benchmark Result on Windows for Lenovo 4-processor Two-Tier ThinkSystem SR950Performance Benchmark Result
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 server, using four Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processors, delivers world record results with 49% performance improvement over the previous-generation Lenovo system for the SAP SD 2-tier standard application benchmark in a Microsoft Windows environment.
This document summarizes the SAP SD benchmark result for the ThinkSystem SR950 that was published on 8 November, 2017. The document lists the result, summarizes the major components of the configuration under test, and provides the link to the relevant benchmark organization’s web site for details about the result.
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 server, using four Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 processors, delivers world record results with 49% performance improvement (1) over the previous-generation Lenovo system (2) for the SAP SD 2-tier standard application benchmark in a Microsoft Windows environment.
November 8, 2017 ... Today, Lenovo announces leading the two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark.
The results were achieved on the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 on Microsoft Windows, configured with four Intel Xeon processors, using IBM Db2 10.5 and SAP enhancement package 5 for the SAP ERP application release 6.0.
Lenovo delivered the following certified result (2):
- Number of SAP SD benchmark users: 60,701
- Fully processed order line items per hour: 6,653,000
- Dialog steps per hour: 19,959,000
- SAPS: 332,650
- Average database request time (dialog/update): 20 ms/ 17 ms
Configuration of the central server:
- Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950
- Processor: Intel Xeon Platinum 8180M 28C 205W 2.5GHz processor
- Cache: 64 KB L1 cache and 1024 KB L2 cache per core, 38.5 MB L3 cache per processor
- System memory: 1536 GB
- Operating system, central server: Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition R2
- RDBMS: IBM Db2 10.5
- SAP Business Suite software: SAP enhancement package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0
Results referenced are current as of November 8, 2017. For the latest SAP benchmark results, visit: http://www.sap.com/benchmark.
(1) The claim of achieving 49% percent improvement in performance is based on results on the two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark achieved by Lenovo System x3850 X6 (4 processors / 96 cores / 192 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E7-8890 v4, 2.20 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 60 MB L3 cache per processor (certification number 2016027). The Lenovo System x3850 X6 achieved 40,650 SAP SD benchmark users with 0.99 seconds average dialog response time, 221,870 SAP Application Performance Standard (SAPS) values, measured throughput of 13,312,000 dialog steps per hour (or 4,437,330 fully business processed line items per hour), and an average CPU utilization of 98% for the central server.
(2) This benchmark fully complies with the SAP Benchmark Council regulations and has been audited and certified by SAP SE (certification number 2017042). Details can be obtained from Lenovo and SAP. The benchmark was performed at Data Center Performance Lab, Lenovo in Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, by Lenovo engineers.
About the ThinkSystem SR950
Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 is designed for your most demanding, mission-critical workloads, such as in-memory databases, large transactional databases, batch and real-time analytics, ERP, CRM, and virtualized server workloads.
The powerful 4U ThinkSystem SR950 can grow from two to eight Intel Xeon Scalable Family processors, and with 96 DIMM sockets, supports up to 12 TB of high-speed memory without having to replace the server enclosure or upgrade to a physically larger design. The modular design of SR950 speeds upgrades and servicing with easy front or rear access to all major subsystems to maximize server availability.
The SR950 packs numerous fault-tolerant and high-availability features into a high-density design. The SR950 offers enterprise scalability and advanced RAS features to support the most demanding mission-critical applications that require 24x7 operations. The new 4U rack optimized design reduces the space needed to support massive network computing operations and simplifies servicing.
Lenovo XClarity Controller is an all-new hardware embedded management engine common in every ThinkSystem server. XClarity Controller features an uncluttered graphical user interface, industry standard Redfish-compliant REST APIs, and enables booting in half the time of prior generation servers, with up to 6x faster firmware updates.
Lenovo XClarity Administrator is a virtualized application that centrally manages ThinkSystem servers, storage, and networking. Via reusable patterns and policies, it ramps up and scales infrastructure provisioning and maintenance. It serves as a central integration point to extend your data center management processes to physical IT. Running XClarity Integrators in external IT applications, or integrating through REST APIs, helps you further speed services provisioning, streamline IT management, and contain costs.
About SAP SD
SAP SD benchmark is a test for standard sale and distribution business components on SAP ERP, which is indicative of the performance of the application and database on a specific hardware environment. For more information about the benchmark, go to https://www.sap.com/about/benchmark/appbm/erp.html.
To learn more about SAP solutions on Lenovo servers visit the SAP-Lenovo Alliance page.
For more information about the benchmark, go to
To learn more about the Lenovo ThinkSystem SR950 server, visit the SR950 product web page:
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
The following terms are trademarks of other companies:
Intel® and Xeon® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Microsoft®, Windows Server®, and Windows® are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.