Lenovo 0U Basic PDUsProduct Guide
The Lenovo zero-U (0U) Basic power distribution units (PDUs) are the ideal solutions when you need flexible, reliable, easy-to-deploy power distribution with branch circuit protection to minimize downtime. These rack-dense units distribute power to up to 42 outlets. The 0U PDUs are designed to be installed vertically in the rear channel or side pockets of a Lenovo rack, thereby not consuming any horizontal rack space.
This product guide provides essential presales information to understand the 0U Basic PDUs and their key features, specifications, and compatibility. This guide is intended for technical specialists, sales specialists, sales engineers, IT architects, and other IT professionals who want to learn more about 0U Basic PDUs and consider their use in IT solutions.
Changes in the April 2 update:
- Images are clickable to show larger versions
The Lenovo zero-U (0U) Basic power distribution units (PDUs) are the ideal solutions when you need flexible, reliable, easy-to-deploy power distribution with branch circuit protection to minimize downtime. These rack-dense units distribute power to up to 42 outlets. The 0U PDUs are designed to be installed vertically in the rear channel or side pockets of a Lenovo rack, thereby not consuming any horizontal rack space that otherwise be used by servers, storage and network switches (hence the term 0U).
The following figure displays the 0U Basic PDUs.
Did you know?
With ever growing power densities in today’s rack environments, it is all too easy to add load in the wrong place and trigger an overload event. The 0U Basic PDU offerings can minimize this impact, providing the ability to quickly recover with resettable circuit breakers for each designated bank of receptacles, referred to as load groups. Breakers are color coded to the receptacles in a particular load group to aid in configuration, installation, and maintenance.
Introduction to PDUs
A power distribution unit (PDU) is a highly reliable, multiple outlet power strip designed to consolidate line cords within the rack and distribute conditioned power from an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) or utility power to servers and other IT equipment. The PDU efficiently distributes power within the rack and provides fault-tolerant power redundancy for high availability requirements.
There are three types of PDUs available from Lenovo: basic, monitored, and switched & monitored. The PDUs covered in this document are of the basic type.
- Basic PDUs: The simplest and most cost-effective power distribution. Available with various outlet configurations and line cord options to support different systems and load requirements.
- Monitored PDUs: provides the same benefits as a Basic PDU, but adds additional advanced PDU power monitoring down to the load group. This enables businesses to have a cross-platform rack-level power and thermal view for trending analysis to improve power management
- Switched & monitored PDUs: These are advanced power management solutions, providing power monitoring at the outlet level, with increased accuracy at low amperages, for more precise views of power consumption down to the individual server level instead of at the consolidated load group. These PDUs also offer management via a web-based interface which includes individual outlet switching (on/off). Outlet switching allows for remote power sequencing and helps prevent unintended PDU overloading.
Part number information
The following table provides the ordering part numbers and feature codes for the 0U Basic PDUs.
|00YJ776||ATZY||0U 36 C13/6 C19 24A 1 Phase PDU (30A derated)||North America|
|00YJ777||ATZZ||0U 36 C13/6 C19 32A 1 Phase PDU||International|
|00YJ778||AU00||0U 21 C13/12 C19 32A 3 Phase PDU||International|
|00YJ779||ATZX||0U 21 C13/12 C19 48A 3 Phase PDU (60A derated)||North America|
* See region availability below
PDUs indicated in Table 1 as available for North America are available in the following countries:
- United States
- Saudi Arabia
- Some of Brazil
PDUs indicated in Table 1 as available Internationally are available in these regions:
- Most of the Middle East
- Most of Asia
- Australia/New Zealand
- Most of South America
Included with the PDUs
The PDUs include the following items:
- One Power Distribution Unit with an attached power cord
- Two spare black plastic key hole buttons for securing clip feet on rack
- Mounting hardware
- Adhesive power feed labels: 1x blue arrow and 1x red arrow (to indicate power source flow)
- PDU warranty poster
- Safety CD
- Important notice
- Quick start guide
Features and specifications
The 0U Basic PDUs have the following common features:
- These PDUs are Eaton-supplied basic PDUs. These are called basic PDUs as they are the simplest and most cost-effective power distribution available.
- 0U rack-dense design with attached input cable, primary outlets, and breakers on one face to improve usability and cable management
- Hardware included to mount in side pocket of rack
- Easily accessible and resettable UL489, color coded circuit breakers to aid in set up, configuration and maintenance in high availability environments.
- Electronic over-current protection
- High capacity up to 23 kW (model dependent)
- The use of PDUs simplifies cable management and increases accessibility. In addition, the button-mount design of these 0U Basic PDUs helps simplify deployment by providing rear and/or side mounting in 9307, 9308, 9360, 9361 and 9363 model rack cabinets making installation of these PDUs extremely versatile. For a complete list of supported rack cabinets, see the Supported rack cabinets section.
The following table compares the technical and environmental specifications of the 0U Basic PDUs.
Connectors and load groups
The 0U Basic PDUs with 36 C13 connectors and 6 C19 connectors (part numbers 00YJ776 and
00YJ777) have the components and controls as shown in the following figure.
The 0U Basic PDUs with 21 C13 connectors and 12 C19 connectors (part numbers 00YJ778 and 00YJ779) have the components and controls as shown in the following figure.
Selecting the right PDU
To avoid over sizing or under sizing power, it is important to understand the power requirements of the hardware that will be powered by the PDU(s). To understand this, use the Power Configurator tool to determine the hardware’s overall power usage. Download the Power Configurator from the following link: http://support.lenovo.com/au/en/documents/LNVO-PWRCONF
Likewise, to avoid over sizing or under sizing PDUs it is also important to understand the PDU capabilities and capacities.
Consider the following for capabilities:
- Do you require monitoring and/or outlet switching? If so, then visit the Product Guide for switched & monitored PDUs at http://lenovopress.com/lp0575. If not, consider the Basic PDUs described here.
- Do you require environmental monitoring capabilities? If so, then visit the Product Guide for switched & monitored PDUs at http://lenovopress.com/lp0575. If not, consider the Basic PDUs described here.
- Does the PDU have the right type of power for your scenario? For example, 16A, 30A, 32A, 63A and single or three phase power?
- Does the PDU have enough of the correct type of outlets for your scenario?
Consider the following for capacities:
- Will each outlet be able to support the load being connected to it? For example, C13 outlets have a 10A limit.
- Will each load group be able to support the hardware being connected to it?
- Will each phase, where applicable, be able to support the hardware being connected to it?
- Is the overall power capacity of the PDU able to support the hardware being connected to it?
- Do you have enough PDUs to be N+N or N+1 redundancy if this is required?
For additional information on selecting the right PDU, load groups, phases, outlets, line cords, plugs and specifications, see the Lenovo PDU Technical Reference (International or North American version), available from: http://support.lenovo.com/documents/lnvo-powinf
Supported rack cabinets
The 0U Basic PDUs can be installed in the following racks:
- S2 42U Standard Rack cabinet (Types 9307)
- Enterprise Rack cabinet (Types 9308)
- 42U 1200mm Deep Dynamic Rack (Type 9360)
- 42U 1200mm Deep Static Rack (Type 9361)
- 47U 1200mm Deep Static Rack (Type 9362)
- 42U 1100mm Enterprise V2 Dynamic Rack (Type 9363)
Each PDU has a universal mounting bracket that enables the PDU to be mounted in a variety of different racks that are outside of the Lenovo portfolio.
The PDU is designed to be mounted without the use of tools. Mounting buttons are pre-installed on the rear of the PDU at the factory. The mounting buttons allow for three mounting methods for installing the 0U Basic PDUs vertically in a rack.
- Using factory-installed buttons on the PDU to mount the PDU in keyhole openings in the rack frame
- Using buttons on clip feet to mount the PDU in keyhole openings in the rack frame
- Using clip feet and cage nuts secured to the rack to mount the PDU onto the clip
For additional information on racking the 0U Basic PDUs, refer to User’s Guide for the PDUs.
The 0U Basic PDUs are offered with a three-year limited warranty. At Lenovo discretion this warranty will be either CRU service (customer replaceable unit) or a Lenovo employee, subcontractor or reseller will be assigned to repair the failing item. Proof and date of purchase is required for warranty claims.
The PDUs conform to the following standards:
- Circuit breaker UL489 approval
- Circuit breaker IEC/EN60934 approval
- Outlet standard: IEC C13-C19: UL498 and IEC 60320
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
Full Change History
Changes in the April 2, 2017 update:
- Images are clickable to show larger versions
First published: 20 December 2016