Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 Fibre Channel Host Bus AdaptersProduct Guide
The Emulex 16 Gb Generation 6 Fibre Channel (FC) host bus adapters (HBAs) are an ideal solution when requiring high-speed data transfer in storage connectivity for virtualized environments, data backup, and mission-critical applications.
This product guide describes the Emulex HBAs and provides essential pre-sales information to understand the products, their key features and specifications, and compatibility. This guide is intended for technical specialists, sales specialists, sales engineers, and IT architects who want to learn more about the adapters and consider their use in IT solutions.
Changes in the November 5 update:
- Added new servers: ThinkSystem ST50, ST250, SR150 and SR250
- Updated the list of supported operating systems
Learn about the key features of the Emulex adapters
The Emulex 16 Gb (Generation 6) Fibre Channel (FC) host bus adapters (HBAs) are an ideal solution when requiring high-speed data transfer in storage connectivity for virtualized environments, data backup, and mission-critical applications. They are designed to meet the needs of modern networked storage systems that utilize high performance and low latency solid state storage drives for caching and persistent storage as well as hard disk drive arrays.
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs feature ExpressLane, which prioritizes mission-critical traffic in congested networks ensuring maximum application performance on flash storage arrays. They also seamlessly support Brocade ClearLink diagnostics through Emulex OneCommand Manager, ensuring the reliability and management of storage network when connected to Brocade Gen 5 FC SAN fabrics.
Figure 1. Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC Single-port and Dual-port HBAs (shown without the included SFP+ modules)
Did you know?
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs have an advanced ASIC which can achieve 1.6M IOPS on a single port by using Emulex's Dynamic Multicore architecture, which dynamically scales HBA resources to any port that needs it. This is essential when ports are used in active-standby mode.
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs can provide near limitless scalability to support maximum VM density, with 2x more on-chip resources and bandwidth. These low latency HBAs can also improve your VDI experience, providing noticeable improvements during boot storms, and allow faster data warehousing and meet the massive bandwidth requirements of flash storage arrays.
Part number information
The following table lists the ordering information for the Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs.
|Part number||Feature code||Description|
|01CV830||ATZU||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Single-port HBA|
|01CV840||ATZV||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Dual-port HBA|
The part numbers for the Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs include the following items:
- An FC HBA adapter with one or two 16 Gb (16/8/4 Gbps speeds) FC SW SFP+ installed
- 3U (standard) and 2U (low-profile) adapter brackets
- Publications package
Fiber optic cables
The following table lists the fiber optic cables that are available from Lenovo.
|Part number||Feature code||Description|
|LC-LC 0M3 MMF Fiber Optic Cables|
|00MN499||ASR5||Lenovo 0.5m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN502||ASR6||Lenovo 1m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN505||ASR7||Lenovo 3m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN508||ASR8||Lenovo 5m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN511||ASR9||Lenovo 10m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN514||ASRA||Lenovo 15m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN517||ASRB||Lenovo 25m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
|00MN520||ASRC||Lenovo 30m LC-LC OM3 MMF Cable|
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs have the following features:
- Maximum performance with up to 1.6 million input/output operations per second (IOPS) to support larger server virtualization deployments and scalable cloud initiatives, and performance to match new multicore processors, SSDs/flash storage, and faster server host bus architectures.
Supports Brocade Clearlink diagnostics, which helps ensure optical and signal integrity for Fibre Channel cables and optics by validating the health, reliability and performance of the network prior to, and after, deployment. Allows the IT administrator to detect faulty cables and optics in minutes versus hours. Brocade ClearLink is also seamlessly integrated into Emulex OneCommand.
- Offer end-to-end Quality of Service (QoS) application prioritization with ExpressLane technology, which allows customers to prioritize faster storage traffic (such as SSDs) ahead of slower traffic (such as spinning hard drives), alleviating potential bottlenecks from slow storage.
- Frame-level multiplexing and out-of-order frame reassembly increases link efficiency and maximizes HBA performance.
- vScale performance and scalability: Multicore ASIC engine with eight cores supports 255 VFs, 1024 MSI-X, and 16127 logins/open exchanges for maximum VM density.
- The Emulex OneCommand Manager enterprise class management application features a multiprotocol and cross-platform architecture that provides centralized management of all Emulex HBAs. VMware vCenter plug-in provides OneCommand support within a VMware environment.
- GreenState power efficiency reduces data center power consumption and associated operational expenses by delivering exceptional power to port ratios.
- End-to-end data protection with hardware parity, CRC, ECC, and other advanced error checking and correcting algorithms, which ensures that data is safe from corruption.
- Support forward error correction (FEC), a new Gen 6 standard feature that provides enhanced data reliability and performance by automatically detecting and recovering from bit errors.
- T10-PI data integrity with high performance offload provides end-to-end data corruption protection.
- Rock-solid reliability and thermal characteristics, which are essential for mission-critical, cloud, and virtualized applications.
- Emulex HBAs are renowned for reliability, ensuring maximum SAN uptime. Their "it just works” reputation is based on 17 million installed ports with proven industry-leading reliability of 10 million hours field Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF).
- Support for Message Signaled Interrupts eXtended (MSI-X) improves host utilization and enhances application performance.
- Support for 16 Gb, 8 Gb, and 4 Gb FC devices.
- Comprehensive virtualization capabilities with support for N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV).
- A common driver model allows a single driver to support all Emulex HBAs on a given OS.
- Reduces the number of cards, cables, and PCIe slots required.
- Exceptional performance per watt and price/performance ratios.
- Integrates seamlessly into existing SANs.
- Allows application of SAN best practices, tools, and processes with virtual server deployments.
- Ensures data availability and data integrity.
- Universal boot capability allows the appropriate boot environment to be automatically selected for any given hardware.
- Boot from SAN capability reduces the system management costs and increases uptime.
- Detailed and real-time event logging and tracing enables quick diagnosis of SAN problems.
- The beaconing feature flashes the HBA LEDs, simplifying their identification within server racks.
- The environmental monitoring feature helps optimize SAN availability.
The following table compares features of Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6, 16 Gb (Gen 5), and 8 Gb FC HBAs.
|Feature||16 Gb FC Gen 6||16 Gb FC (Gen 5)||8 Gb FC|
|Host interface||PCIe 3.0 x8||PCIe 3.0 x8||PCIe 2.0 x8|
|IOPS performance||1.6 M IOPS||1.2 M IOPS||0.2 M IOPS (per port)|
|16 Gb FC SFP+ transceiver support||Yes||Yes||No|
|8 Gb FC SFP+ transceiver support||No||Yes||Yes|
|16 Gbps speed support||Yes||Yes||No|
|8 Gbps speed support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|4 Gbps speed support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Logins and Exchanges||16,127||8,192||4,096|
|SR-IOV support||255 VFs||255 VFs||No|
Important: Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs offer better performance and scalability with lower power consumption, while fitting into the same price band, compared to Emulex 16 Gb (Gen 5) FC HBAs.
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs have the following specifications:
- Based on the LPe31000 (single port) and LPe31002 (dual port) adapters
- I/O controller: Emulex Engine 501 (XE501) I/O Controller (IOC)
- Host interface: PCIe 3.0 x8
- Ports: Single-port and dual-port SFP+ based adapters
- Link speed: Support for 16 Gb, 8 Gb and 4 Gb FC link speeds, which are automatically negotiated
- Data rate: 14.025 Gbps (1600 MBps), 8.5 Gbps (800 MBps), and 4.25 Gbps (400 MBps) autosensing (per port), with full duplex
- Performance: Up to 1,600,000 IOPS
- Industry standards:
- Current ANSI/IETF standards: FC-PI-4, FC-PI-5, FC-PI-6 , FC-FS-3, FC-LS-2, FC-GS-6, FC-DA, FC-DA2, FCP-4, SPC-4, SBC-3, and SSC-4
- Legacy ANSI/IETF standards: FC-PH, FC-PH-2, FC-PH-3, FC-PI, FC-PI-2, FC-PI-3, FC-FS, FC-GS-2/3/4/5, FCP-2/3, FC-HBA, FC-TAPE, FC-MI, SPC-3, SBC-2, SSC-2, and SSC-3
- Topology: Point-to-point and switched fabric
- Hot-pluggable 16 Gbps Fibre Channel SFP+ short wave optical transceivers (850 nm) with LC connectors (included with the adapters). Note: Other transceivers are not supported.
- Distance support:
- Operating at 16 Gbps:
- Up to 15 m on 62.5/125 µm OM1 Multi-Mode Fiber (MMF)
- Up to 35 m on 50/125 µm OM2 MMF
- Up to 100 m on 50/125 µm OM3 MMF
Up to 125 m on 50/125 µm OM4 MMF
- Operating at 8 Gbps:
- Up to 21 m on 62.5/125 µm OM1 MMF
- Up to 50 m on 50/125 µm OM2 MMF
Up to 150 m on 50/125 µm OM3 MMF
- Operating at 4 Gbps:
- Up to 70 m on 62.5/125 µm OM1 MMF
- Up to 150 m on 50/125 µm OM2 MMF
- Operating at 16 Gbps:
- Management software:
Emulex AutoPilot Installer automates the HBA installation process and reduces time to deployment and administrative costs. Automated installation and configuration of driver and management tools simplifies deployment of multiple adapters within Windows environments. A single installation of driver and management application eliminates multiple reboots and ensures that each component is installed correctly and the HBA is ready to use.
The Emulex OneCommand Manager application enables centralized discovery, monitoring, reporting, and administration of Emulex HBAs and CNAs on local and remote hosts. Powerful automation capabilities facilitate remote driver parameter, firmware, and boot code upgrades. In addition to the GUI interface, management functions can also be performed through a scriptable command-line interface (CLI) and a web browser.
- Emulex management instrumentation complies with Open Management Standards, such as SMI-S and common HBA API support, which enables seamless upward integration into enterprise storage and server management solutions.
Server support - ThinkSystem
The following table lists the ThinkSystem servers that are compatible.
|Description||1S Rack & Tower||2S Rack & Tower||4S Rack||Dense/ Blade|
|01CV830||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Single-port HBA||N||Y||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||N||N||N|
|01CV840||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Dual-port HBA||N||Y||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||N||N||N|
Server support - System x
The following tables list the System x servers that are compatible.
Support for System x and dense servers with Xeon E5/E7 v4 and E3 v5 processors
x3250 M6 (3943)
x3250 M6 (3633)
x3550 M5 (8869)
x3650 M5 (8871)
x3850 X6/x3950 X6 (6241, E7 v4)
nx360 M5 (5465, E5-2600 v4)
nx360 M5 WCT (5467, E5-2600 v4)
|01CV840||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Dual-port HBA||N||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||N||N|
|01CV830||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Single-port HBA||N||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||N||N|
Support for System x and dense servers with Intel Xeon v3 processors
x3100 M5 (5457)
x3250 M5 (5458)
x3500 M5 (5464)
x3550 M5 (5463)
x3650 M5 (5462)
x3850 X6/x3950 X6 (6241, E7 v3)
nx360 M5 (5465)
|01CV840||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Dual-port HBA||N||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|01CV830||Emulex 16Gb Gen6 FC Single-port HBA||N||N||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
The adapters support the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019
- Microsoft Windows Server version 1709
- Microsoft Windows Server version 1803
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.10
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.9
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 with Xen
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2 with Xen
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP3 with Xen
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 with XEN
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.0 U3
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 U1
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.5 U2
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 6.7
The following table lists the Fibre Channel SAN switches that are offered by Lenovo and can be used with this system.
|8 Gb FC|
|3873AR3||Lenovo B300, 8 ports licensed, 8x 8Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 3Yr FW|
|3873AR6||Lenovo B300, E_Port License, 8 ports licensed, 8x 8Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|16 Gb FC|
|6559F2A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB610S, 8 ports licensed, 8x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|6559F1A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB610S, ENT Bundle, 24 ports licensed, 24x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|6559D1Y||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB610S, ENT Bundle, 24 ports licensed, 24x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 3Yr FW|
|3873ER1||Lenovo B6505, 12 ports licensed, 12x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|3873AR5||Lenovo B6505, 12 ports licensed, 12x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 3Yr FW|
|3873IR1||Lenovo B6510, 24 ports licensed, 24x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 2 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|3873BR3||Lenovo B6510, 24 ports licensed, 24x 16Gb SWL SFPs, 2 PS, Rail Kit, 3Yr FW|
|32 Gb FC|
|6559F3A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB610S, 8 ports licensed, No SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|6559D3Y||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB610S, 8 ports licensed, No SFPs, 1 PS, Rail Kit, 3Yr FW|
|6415G3A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB620S, 24 ports licensed, No SFPs, 2 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|6415H11||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB620S, 24 ports licensed, 24x 32Gb SWL SFPs, 2 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|6415G11||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB620S, 24 ports licensed, 24x 32Gb SWL SFPs, 2 PS, Rail Kit, 3Yr FW|
|6415H2A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB620S, ENT Bundle, 48 ports licensed, 48x 32Gb SWL SFPs, 2 PS, Rail Kit, 1Yr FW|
|6684D2A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB400D 32Gb FC Director, ENT. Feature set, 4 Blade slots, 8U, 1Yr FW|
|6684B2A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB400D 32Gb FC Director, ENT. Feature set, 4 Blade slots, 8U, 3Yr FW|
|6682D1A||Lenovo ThinkSystem DB800D 32Gb FC Director, ENT. Feature set, 8 Blade slots, 14U, 1Yr FW|
For more information, see the list of Product Guides in the Rack SAN Switches category:
For information about interoperability with storage servers, see the Lenovo Storage Interoperability Links article, available from:
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs carry a one-year limited warranty. When installed in a supported server, the adapters assume the servers’s base warranty and any Lenovo Services warranty upgrade.
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs have the following dimensions (approximate):
- Short, low profile MD2 form factor card
- 168 mm x 69 mm (6.60 in. x 2.7 in.)
- Standard (3U) and low-profile (2U) brackets included
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs are supported in the following environment:
- Operating: 0 - 55 °C (32 - 131 °F)
- Storage: -20 - 85 °C (-4 - 185 °F)
- Relative humidity: 5 - 95% (non-condensing)
The Emulex 16 Gb Gen 6 FC HBAs conform to the following regulations:
- AS/NZS CISPR22:2009+A1, Class A
- Australian EMC Framework (RCM)
- China RoHS compliant
- cUR recognized to CSA 22.2, No. 60950-1-07
- EN55022:2010, Class A
- EU (CE Mark)
- FCC Rules, Part 15, Class A
- Industry Canada, ICES-003, Class A
- Japan VCCI, Class A
- Korea MSIP, Class A
- RoHS Compliant (Directive 2011/65/EU)
- TUV certified to EN60950-1+A11+A1+A12+A2
- Taiwan BSMI, Class A
- UL recognized to UL60950-1 2nd Edition
Related product families
Product families related to this document are the following:
Lenovo and the Lenovo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both. A current list of Lenovo trademarks is available on the Web at https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/legal/copytrade/.
The following terms are trademarks of Lenovo in the United States, other countries, or both:
The following terms are trademarks of other companies:
Intel® and Xeon® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Linux® is a trademark of Linus Torvalds in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft®, Windows Server®, and Windows® are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Other company, product, or service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.